Thursday, August 26, 2010

How to stop the CTS air vent from buzzing

The CTS has a noisy interior. It is not a matter of road noise coming in. The CTS is really quiet in that regard. Instead, the interior fixtures, seats, vents, arm rests, etc. are noisy. I've seen this noted on many other web posts, so it's not just my CTS.

The only sound that really bugged me was the air vent, which buzzed on the highest fan settings. The GM mechanics at first couldn't hear it. As an aside, I have found that mechanics often can't hear car noises. I think their work environment is very loud and they tend to have hearing loss, especially on the higher frequencies where many rattles, taps and buzz sounds live.

In any event, once I got the repair manager to hear the sound, he allegedly was able to get the mechanic to hear it (I think he just said he could hear it so as not to admit he couldn't hear it). So, despite my insistence it was a loose blade in the dash board vent, the mechanic insisted it was coming from the AC compressor on the other side of the car.

After that warranty repair was done, replacing the compressor entirely, I drove the car home and, of course, the sound was still there. After messing with the vent controls more, I discovered a very simple solution.

If the vent is at least one notch less-than fully open, enough pressure is on the vent blade to hold it still and quiet. No less air comes out. But, when fully open, there is a tiny bit of play allowing the blades to buzz when the fan is on full.

That solution is a lot easier than convincing a deaf mechanic that I am not hearing things. Plus, with any luck, in a few more years my hearing will be deteriorated enough that I don't hear the little rattles and buzzing sounds either!

No comments:

Post a Comment