Thursday, August 26, 2010

Changing battery in Cadillac CTS key fob

I just changed the battery in my CTS key fob, and I won't do that again. Instead I'll take it to the dealer.

The reason is that doing this yourself, and I was very careful, is difficult and damages the fob, which costs about $175 to replace.

Anyway, if you want to try it yourself, you need to get something very thin and very strong to break open the fob along the nearly-invisible line along the edge. It seemed like it had some kind of sealant along the edge that had to be scraped off before I could make any progress. I used a tiny flathead screwdriver made for computer repairs.

This process scored and scratched the fob. It cracked one side of the fob. Opening it broke off the key release button, which is used to release the traditional key hidden in the fob. Once open, the printed circuit board flew out onto the counter. It's not secured in there in any way.

Again I was very careful and all this still happened.

I put in the new battery, pieced it all back together, glued the crack, and it works fine. It now looks horrible and feels loose. So, it's in the cupboard and I switched to the backup. When its battery dies, I'll take it to the dealer to replace.

1 comment:

  1. My FOB had cracked just from being dropped...dealership replaced for free under warranty. I would try to get it replaced. The dealer knows its a poor design and easily breaks. Very attractive looking, but not the best durability.

    ReplyDelete