Thursday, August 26, 2010

How many song files can the CTS sound system read from one source?

4000. The CTS sound system can read music files from CD-r disks, and many hard drives and card readers that have a USB connection. For example, I have an SD card-to-USB connector. I can put music on SD cards and then use the adapter to play them from the USB connector in the armrest. I've played music from portable hard drives, iPhone and iPod that way too.

However, I noticed that if I put more than 4000 songs on a hard drive and plug it into the CTS USB port, only the first 4000 songs will ever be accessible through the CTS sound system. I tested this theory on various drives, and it always came out exactly the same. The software in the CTS sound system maxes out at 4000 songs.

Also, before you can access songs on a drive, card or CD-r by artist, album or genre, the CTS sound system must scan all the songs on the source. The more songs the longer this takes and USB sources scan slower than CD-r or DVD-r disks. So, having 4000 songs on a disk can delay your ability to access songs by those sorting categories.

I'm finding my favorite way to keep and play tons of music in my CTS is to put it on 1 or 2 gigabyte SD cards, and play them through the SD-USB adapter. They scan fast, are super small, are big enough to write a short label on the card, like "Beatles," and they're only about $10 each (reusable as much as you want). You only get a few hundred songs on each, but that seems OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment